Monday 4 April 2011

One Night Only: The Voice of Bollywood




Text: P.Ramakrishnan
Images: Douglas Pieterse


Singer Sunidhi Chauhan may not be the most recognised face in Bollywood, but she's certainly the voice of it. “I have no idea how many songs I’ve sung for Hindi films,” she says, hours before she hits the stage in Hong Kong for a one-off concert at the HK Polytechnic University. “Hundreds, thousands? I don’t know. I’ve been very fortunate.”



As a playback singer to all the A-list actresses of Indian cinema (when those gorgeous Miss Worlds and Miss Universes break into song and dance on film, it’s the gorgeous voice of Chauhan that they are all lip-syncing to), she's had an incredible year already with the song “Sheila ki jawani” hovering between the No:1 and No:2 spots for the past six months.



In fact, Chauhan’s high octaves span up and down the hit-list often and she’s been nominated a whopping 14 times at Filmfare awards (the Indian equivalent of the Oscars) for Best Singer, having won three times.



“I don’t judge the success of a song by an award or recognition – though I’m thrilled when I do get it – but when I go to any club or party, if they’re playing my song, I know it’s a hit.”



Last when she was in Hong Kong (back in 2006), for a concert, she said, she'd love to collaborate with Western singers. This year, a dream came true.



"Working with Enrique Iglesisas was wonderful,” she gushes, having collaborated with the Latin heartthrob for his upcoming album Euphoria. “I was excited to work with Enrique, he was pretty kicked about working with an Indian artist for the first time. We both gelled well and the song too came out great — I think it was a great combination.”

As Chauhan sings alongside the sitar, tabla and flute, merging traditional Indian song to Iglesias’ pop and club tunes, she has high hopes for this musical fusion. “When I was approached for the collaboration, there was no question of giving it a second thought, I was too excited about it.”


Catch the excitement tonight for Sunidhi Chauhan’s sole, solo show.



Sunidhi, Live in Hong Kong

Jockey Club Auditorium,

The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom

Monday, April 04, 8:00 pm

Tickets: $500-1000

www.jadegroupasia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment